Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Sad but Happy...
I know I have a tendancy to always post about residents who pass away, but when these people become like grandparents to you it is hard not to. We lost another one yesterday, named Ruth. Oddly enough, my original favorite resident is named Ruth but she lives in Provo and as far as I know is still kicking. This is a different Ruth but equally fabulous. She weighed maybe 70 pounds soaking wet and was deaf and blind. Well, she could kind of hear if you yelled in her ear with her hearing aids full blast. She was adorable to say the least. Always a story to tell or a song to sing or a prayer to say. I cannot tell you how many times she sang Mary Had A Little Lamb for me. She passed away while I was holding her hand early yesterday morning. It was tough, I'm not gonna lie. I have seen many a resident pass in my day, but this one takes the cake. I was shaky and emotional all day from it. It was kind of unexpected and sudden so I had no preparation. It is really hard to describe what it is like to watch someone go when you have cared for them amost everyday for the last 2 years. I love these people and I feel like sometimes I get too attached but I feel like that is what makes me good at my job. So this is my tribute to little Ruthie..I will miss her. I already do. I can't even go into her empty room without getting a little teary eyed, but then I just remember that she is with the love of her life, Fred, now. She can see, she can hear, and she is happy. Even though it is hard for us, its happy for her. I'm grateful to have the gospel in my life so I know these things and its easier for us to say goodbye. I love you Ruthie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
awww....that was really sweet. What a way to die-with someone holding your hand. Sorry for your loss.
Sorry to hear that, Suh! I'm sure it's easy to get attached to your residents, so it makes it that much harder when they pass away. I agree-that one of the things that makes you good at your job. Cheer up, Charlie :)
PS love your choice of song...good one-espesh for the occasion :)
Post a Comment